Swelling in one leg.

Q: I just noticed that my left leg is “bigger” than my right one. (i.e. swelling of the calf and thigh) The right one is fine. What could be the cause and what doctor do I see about this? My thyroid is fine and my kidneys seem to be functioning (my MRI showed that) I’m confused whether to just buy support hose, or see my cardiologist, internist, endocrinologist or vascular specialist?

A: You need to make an appointment to see your primary care doctor.  Depending upon what is found on physical exam, your doctor will be able to suggest a treatment or refer you to the appropriate specialist.  Since you have swelling in just one leg, there is a possibility you have a blood clot in your leg.  This can be serious problem so don’t delay in seeking treatment.  From more information about blood clots go to this page at the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. 

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (10 votes, average: 4.20 out of 5)
Loading ... Loading ...